Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Art Placement Experiment

With the yellow and red flashing lights that I constructed last class I made a little warning sign. The sign itself read "Caution: Possible Falling Objects", to the back of the sign I attached the battery and main components of the flashing lights. I then proceeded to make to small holes in the sign to allow the lights to poke through to the other side, creating a sign with flashing red and yellow lights. After I constructed this sign I had to come up with a good place to put it. So I decided that the door to a men's bathroom would be a suitable location. After attaching the tape to the door I found a spot adjacent to the bathroom to observe the results. I sat at that location for about an hour  and in that time period only a small handful of people interacted with the bathroom and the sign in that time period. The most common responses were that people either ignored the sign completely or stopped very briefly to examine the sign. In one case, however, one gentleman stopped at the door and examined the sign for a solid minute before finally deciding to use the restroom. Overall, I believe that the sign was effective on a small scale but I think that a larger scale sign would be more effective at giving people pause at entering a restroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment